This is one of the 100 famous mountains in Japan.
Near Kusatsu Onsen is a cable car at two thousand meters elevation where riders can enjoy stunning views. While hiking to locations like Sesshogawara, Mononugu-no-ike Pond, and Yumi-ike Pond, visitors can enjoy flowers blooming throughout the season such as rhododendrons from May to June, fireweed flowers from July to August, and Japanese gentian flowers from September to October. Mt. Motoshiranesan is also home to dicentra flowers, often called the queen of highland vegetation.
During the winter, the ski resort offers fun in the snow and an 8,000-meter downhill slope.
In late April, the Shiga-Kusatsu Route, which is closed during the winter, becomes a snow corridor with walls nearly 5 meters tall.
"Yugama", the crater lake at the summit is impressive for its emerald green water. With a pH of approximately 1.0, it is known as the most acidic lake in Japan.
Also, at Mt. Motoshiranesan, visitors can enjoy desentra glow in colonies.
- Location: Kusatsu, Kusatsu-machi, Agatsuma-gun, Gunma
- Tel：+81-279-88-7188 （Tourism Division, Kusatsu Town）
- ▼Altitude: 2,171 m
・ Hours: 9:00 AM - 4:20 PM
・ Closed: Monday, May 8 through Friday, May 26 and Monday, November 13 through Friday, December 15, 2017 (for seasonal safety inspections)
・ Duration: About 15 minutes for one-way
- Individuals: 900 yen for one-way and 1,050 yen for round trip for adults
450 yen for one-way and 750 yen for round trip for children
- Groups (25-49 persons): 720 yen for one-way and 1,200 yen for round trip for adults
410 yen for one-way and 680 yen for round trip for children
- Groups (50-99 persons): 630 yen for one-way and 1,050 yen for round trip for adults
360 yen for one-way and 600 yen for round trip for children
- Groups (over 100 persons): 540 yen for one-way and 900 yen for round trip for adults
320 yen for one-way and 530 yen for round trip for children
* Discount for Disabled guest and one caregiver available
- [To Shirane-Kazan Ropeway Sanroku Station]
・ Take the JR Bus Kanto from platforms 1-3 at Naganoharakusatsuguchi Station on JR Agatsuma Line headed for the Kusatsu-onsen-bus-terminal for about 25 minutes. Get off at the Kusatsu-onsen-bus-terminal. Then, take the JR Bus, Seibu Kanko Bus or Kusakaru Kotsu headed for Sessho-gawara from Kusatsu Onsen Bus Terminal Platform 6 for about 15 minutes and get off at Sessho-gawara.
・ About 2 hours by car from Shibukawa-Ikaho IC of Kan-Etsu Expressway
About 30 minutes on foot to Yugama
* The 1-km control area on Mt. Kusatsu-Shiranesan is cleared as of June 15, 2017 and has become a 500-m control area. Visitors can view the Yugama from the observation deck.
Website (Kusatsu Onsen Tourism Associatio): http://www.kusatsu-onsen.ne.jp/guide/en/sight/
for more about Kusatsu Town☆
* Road Closure in Winter
Section: From Tenguyama Gate (near the Shirane Kazan Ropeway Sancho Station) to Shibutouge Pass (on the border of Nagano Prefecture)
Duration: 1:00 PM on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 10:00 AM on Friday, April 20, 2018
Visitor experiences* The information below is quoted from that of TripAdvisor.
Search by Area
- Kusatsu, Manza, Kita-Karuizawa Area
- Minakami, Oze, Numata Area
- Ikaho, Haruna Area
- Shima Area
- Takasaki, Myogi, Tomioka Area
- Maebashi, Akagi, Kiryu, Ota, Tatebayashi Area
Copyright © Bureau of Tourism, GUNMA Prefectural Government All Rights Reserved.