Mt. Akagi-yama is the symbol of Gunma Prefecture. Enjoy the gorgeous sights of Japanese azaleas in spring and foliage in autumn. Lakes called Ono, Kono, and Kakumanbuchi are located at the summit. As a famous summer retreat, it was loved by great writers such as Naoya Shiga and Ryunosuke Akutagawa.
In the winter, the surface of Lake Ono freezes, giving visitors the chance to enjoy wakasagi (smelt fish) ice fishing.
- Akagisan, Fujimi-machi, Maebashi-shi, Gunma
- Mapcode: 261 456 105*34
- ・ About 60 minutes by bus from Maebashi Station on JR Ryomo Line
・ About 60 minutes by car from Akagi IC of Kan-Etsu Expressway
In conjunction with the peak viewing times of the rhododendrons on Mt. Akagi-yama, a direct bus from the JR Maebashi Station will operate every day during the time specified below! (It only operates on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays at other times.)
When: Sunday, June 3 through Sunday, June 24, 2018
Where to get on: Platform 6 at the north entrance to the JR Maebashi Station
Fees: One-way: 1,500 yen (from Maebashi Station to Akagiyama Visitor Center)
Note: Try using an Akagi-yama One-day Pass ticket (Adult: 3,100 yen, Child: 1,550 yen) and stop by a day spa (get off at Fujimi Onsen)!
Note: You can also get to Mt. Akagi-yama by taking the regular bus from Platform 6 at the north entrance to the JR Maebashi Station and transferring at Fujimi Onsen. There is also a direct bus available at other times on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays only.
Main bus stops:
- Shinsakadaira (nearest to Shirakaba Bokujo)
- Akagihiroba-mae (nearest to Akagi Shrine, shopping district)
- Akagiyama-visitor-center (nearest to Kakumanbuchi)
- ▼Altitude: 1,828 m
- * Road Closure in WinterSection: From the entrance of Akagi Onsen (Naegashima-machi, Maebashi-shi) to Kono of Mt. Akagi-yamaDuration: 10:00 AM on Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 10:00 AM on Monday, April 6, 2020Section: From Sunagawa, Tone-machi, Numata-shi to the intersection near Ono (Fujimi-machi, Maebashi-shi)Duration: 2:00 PM on Moday, January 6 - 10:00 AM on Thursday, March 19, 2020
- Final day of update: April 3, 2020