Tomioka Silk Mill
This is the symbol of "Silk Country" Gunma. It was the first model factory in Japan built by the Meiji government in 1872 to modernize raw silk production. The building adopts a unique construction method with wood pillars and brick and plaster walls. With other three silk industrial heritages in the prefecture, in 2012, it was selected to be the one which will be nationally nominated to the World Heritage List.
And June 2014, Tomioka Silk Mill and Related Sites were added to World Heritage List.
- Location: 1-1 Tomioka, Tomioka-Shi, Gunma
- Tel：+81-274-64-0005 （Tomioka Silk Mill Administration Office）
- Open: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Last Entrance: 4:30 PM)
- ▼Parking (Neighboring city parking (paid)):
・ 100 yen / 30 minutes for a car (free for the first 30 minutes)
・ 2,000 yen / time for a bus (reservation required)
▼Closed: Year end (December 29 - 31)
・ Individuals: 1,000 yen for adults, 250 yen for university students and high school students, 150 yen for junior high school students and elementary school students
・ Groups (over 20 persons): 900 yen for adults, 200 yen for univiersity students and high school students, 100 yen for junior high school students and elementary school students
* High school and college student must show a student ID.
* Advance application required for groups.
* Disabled guest and one caregiver: Free (Must show a Physical Disability Certificate)
- ・ About 15 minutes on foot from Joshu-Tomioka Station on Joshin Dentetsu
・ About 10 minutes by car from Tomioka IC of Joshin-Etsu Expressway, park at the parking lot around the facility and about 10 minutes on foot
Visitor experiences* The information below is quoted from that of TripAdvisor.
Search by Area
- Kusatsu, Manza, Kita-Karuizawa Area
- Minakami, Oze, Numata Area
- Ikaho, Haruna Area
- Shima Area
- Takasaki, Myogi, Tomioka Area
- Maebashi, Akagi, Kiryu, Ota, Tatebayashi Area
Copyright © Bureau of Tourism, GUNMA Prefectural Government All Rights Reserved.