It is an quiet onsen resort which is located along the clear water of Shima River. The hot spring, which takes its name from the word "shima", meaning "40,000", is said to cure 40,000 types of illness. The traditional ambiance with a nostalgic charm is very popular among visitors. In recent years, Shima Onsen has become famous for its ryokan, which served as one of the models for the onsen ryokan in the full-length animated movie, "Spirited Away."
- Location: Shima, Nakanojo-machi, Agatsuma-gun, Gunma
- Tel：+81-279-64-2321 （Shima Onsen Association）
- ▼Spring Quality: Chloride spring
▼Efficacy: General indications, cuts, burns, chronic skin diseases, chronic women's diseases
- ・ About 40 minutes by bus from Nakanojo Station on JR Agatsuma Line
・ About 65 minutes by car from Shibukawa-Ikaho IC of Kan-Etsu Expressway
Visitor experiences* The information below is quoted from that of TripAdvisor.
Search by Area
- Kusatsu, Manza, Kita-Karuizawa Area
- Minakami, Oze, Numata Area
- Ikaho, Haruna Area
- Shima Area
- Takasaki, Myogi, Tomioka Area
- Maebashi, Akagi, Kiryu, Ota, Tatebayashi Area
Copyright © Bureau of Tourism, GUNMA Prefectural Government All Rights Reserved.